Topic: “Oral Cancer and Precancer 1-2-3”
This lecture is sponsored by Colgate Canada.
Win door prize at the event!
Speaker: 1. Dr. Catherine Poh / 2. Dr. Samson Ng
Venue: Radisson President Hotel, 8181 Cambie Road, Richmond, BC Time: 6:00 p.m. (registration) 6:30 p.m. (dinner) 7:30 p.m. (lecture) Fee: Free (Member) $100 (Non-Member)
- Update the epidemiological information in incidence, mortality and risk factors
- How to assess an oral lesion and evaluate potentially oral pre-malignant lesion
- How to submit a biopsy (for oral pre-malignant investigation)
- How to manage patients with oral lesions VS (oral pre-malignant lesion)
Synopsis: Oral cancer is a major global health issue with high morbidity and mortality rates. Most troubling, however, is the lack of significant improvement in prognosis of this disease over the last 5 decades, even in developed nations. This is mainly due to late diagnosis with considerable spread and recurrence. Even survived, the patients often face significant functional and esthetical compromises. The best solution is to identify the lesion at risk at its early and treatable stage.
At the conclusion of this course, attendees will be able to learn:
- Updated information on the epidemiological information in incidence, mortality, and risk factors
- How to assess an oral lesion
- How to submit a biopsy
- How to manage patients with oral premalignant or cancerous lesions
- Dr. Catherine Poh (DDS, PhD, FRCD (C), Dip. ABOMP), is a Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, University of British Columbia, a Clinician Scientist of the British Columbia Cancer Research Centre, and active staff at the Oral Oncology Program, BC Cancer , and the combined ENT-head & neck and oral medicine clinic at the VGH. She is one of the 2 practicing Oral Maxillofacial Pathologists in BC. Dr. Poh is actively involved in developing processes by which new research information can be transferred into dental communities. Her primary research focus involves application of molecular and imaging tools for community screening, early detection, and management of cancerous and precancerous oral lesions. Her investigations also involve the impact of oral cancer screening in medically underserved communities.
- Dr. Samson Ng (BSc(Pharm), DMD, MSc, FRCD(C), FDSRCSEd, Dip. ABOM., Dip. ABOMP), is a Canadian and American Board certified oral medicine specialist and oral & maxillofacial pathologist. He is currently appointed as clinical associate professor of British Columbia and active staff at the Oral Medicine Clinic, Department of Dentistry of the Vancouver General Hospital, the Oral Oncology Program, BC Cancer Agency, and the combined ENT-head & neck and oral medicine clinic at the VGH. Dr. Ng also operates a private practice which provides comprehensive oral medicine and pathology consultations, with a special interest in oral mucosal and temporomandibular joint diseases.